When will the Greeks return from wonderland

When will the Greeks return from wonderland


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
+

Recent polls in Greece indicate that approximately 80% are enthusiastically happy with their new Left – Quasi Far Right coalition government. The remaining 20% are unrepentant communists and extreme right wingers (together they got some 12% in the last election) who both remain steadfast in their beliefs and ideas.

This would be good, if this 80% did not believe that everything has changed in Greece and life has returned to the pre-crisis bonanza (!). In the last two days I have spoken with many Greeks in this 80%, coming from different political parties and different social, educational and economic backgrounds.

They all believe that Greece has no economic problems and the new government, with its excellent negotiation abilities and tough stance, in negotiating with Brussels, has won in all fronts.

Today they believe that Greece has no economic problems any more, they are happy because the government re-hired 4,000 dismissed civil servants and switched on the shut-down state TV network ERT, re-hiring 2,500 employees(!)

This 80% is convinced beyond any doubt that Greece has abolished the previous agreement with the Eurogroup (MoU), has stopped any control by the representatives of the lenders (troika), Greece needs no more money (this week it has confiscated the last €5 billion deposits of the social security funds in order to pay the monthly installment to IMF) and the country is safe and secure in the European Union and the Euro.

Indeed, 80% of the Greeks happily believe that neither the Eurogroup nor the EU will ever dare to kick Greece out of the EU and the Euro because they axiomatically know that Europe cannot exist without Greece. They also believe that the new government has already secured the macroeconomics of the country and bankruptcy is not an option any more.

They claim the geographical position of Greece is of determining importance for Europe and they believe that if Greece is bothered, will ally with Russia. That is with a simple statement of the new Prime Minister, Greece will pass from the NATO alliance to an alliance with the Russians.

A Midsummer night’s dream. That in Ukraine, a no-man’s-land since the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1992, a war is going on for the last two years between Russians and Americans, is irrelevant.

That a country, the EU’s twelfth Member State, lives with hallucinations based on perceptions produced by supreme political communication is a problem, not only for that country, but also for Europe. Not in the way the Greeks think, as they believe all their problems are solved and are safe and secured in he EU and the Euro (!), but in a different way.

Indeed, unless the growing gap between Greece and the Eurogroup is quickly bridged and the government, as a first priority, brings its enthusiastic supporters down to earth, the Greeks will face a rude awakening since either their country will go bankrupt, or it will be kicked out of the EU and the Euro, or both.

This will not be a problem for the Greeks only, but for the whole European Union as well. If this is not prevented on time, changes in the Greek society will be precipitous and hysterical. In this case, spillover effects with possible uncontainable dimensions in the rest of Europe should not be ruled out.

 

Links to other stories by same author on the Greek crisis

Greece and Germany in Cold War

11 March 2015 13:43

Greece, the Eurogroup and the impasse

9 March 2015 11:35

The Zorbas Syndrom

20 February 2015

If Greece is left to go bankrupt

February 8, 2015

The Great Greek Offensive to Oligarchs

February 7, 2015

Yes, only Juncker can save Greece (II)

February 6, 2015

Only Juncker can save Greece

February 6, 2015

New Solidarność in the making

February 2, 2015

The DNA of voting Greeks, a parable

January 23, 2015

Greece: no plan, no future

November 15, 2014

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
+