ISIS claims responsibility for attack at Champs-Elysees, Paris –

EPA / ETIENNE LAURENT

French Police officers search the area after a shooting in which one police officer was killed along with their attacker and another police officer wounded in a terror attack on the Champs Elysees in Paris, France, 20 April 2017.

ISIS claims responsibility for attack at Champs-Elysees, Paris –


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
+

Developing story

ISIS claims responsibility for attack in Champs Elysees shopping district, less than a week before France’s presidential election according to IS Amaq agency. Attacker called Abu Yousef al-Belgiki, real name is Karim Cheurfi, originally from Livry-Gargan, France.

Paris police spokeswoman Johanna Primevert told the AP that an attack took place near Franklin Roosevelt subway station on Thursday night.

According to the police, gunman and the police officer that guarded the metro station were shot dead, while another officer was injured.

Officials say the suspect in the attack on Paris police officers previously was flagged as an extremist.

According to a document obtained by Reuters Police have issued an arrest warrant for a second suspect in the shooting. The warrant said the man had arrived in France by train from Belgium.

French President Francois Hollande has scheduled an emergency meeting following shootings of officers, while another emergency ministerial meeting is to take in place on Friday. Hollande says that French authorities are convinced that this is a terrorist attack.

“Our thoughts ar with the killed police officer’s family and relatives of the wounded. A national tribute will be rendered,” said Hollande via his Twitter account.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
+