NEW YORK (AP) — Thirteen years after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks forever changed the New York skyline, officials say development at the World Trade Center complex is on track and on budget.
Port Authority Vice Chairman Scott Rechler said Tuesday that 1 World Trade Center and a transportation hub will open in phases. He says the center will open sometime this fall with a 60 percent occupancy rate.
Developer Larry Silverstein says his company is obtaining financing to complete 3 World Trade Center by early 2018. Its construction was halted last year.
State and city officials say a completed World Trade Center site will create a vibrant business district.
Already, 500-million-square feet (46.45-million-square meters) of office space have been leased out at the complex.