The military alliance has extended the Norwegian Jens Stoltenberg’s mandate as a Secretary-General for another two years.
The current head of NATO remains in office, as the allies have unanimously extended his term that would otherwise have expired after four years in September of next year. However, an extension of Stoltenberg’s term considered safe.
Honoured and grateful that the 29 Allies have decided to extend my term as #NATO Secretary General until end of September 2020. Looking forward to continue working together to strengthen the Alliance and keep our citizens safe.
— Jens Stoltenberg (@jensstoltenberg) December 12, 2017
Stoltenberg appeared to be “honored and grateful” that the 29 Allies extended his mandate, looking forward to continuing his work “to strengthen the Alliance and to ensure the safety of our citizens.”
Holding the position since October 1, 2014, Stoltenberg was expected to take the positive vote of the NATO allies, as already once last week, the federal government of Germany had already spoken out for an extension of his term. Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen and Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel publicly campaigned to continue to rely on the 58-year-old former head of government.
“He not only did a great job of modernizing NATO and adapting its structures to the changing security situation,” said Ms. von der Leyen, while Gabriel added that Stoltenberg had led the alliance “in a difficult phase successfully and with a clear compass”, speaking both about tensions with Russia and the NATO – EU relationship. “This applies not only in relation to Russia but also with a view to strengthening cooperation between NATO and the EU,” he said.