Iran’s foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif will travel to Moscow on 14 May and meet his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov for consultations on the nuclear deal.
On May 8, US President Donald Trump announced Washington’s decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal as it, in his words, leaves Iran a possibility to create a nuclear bomb bypassing all the restrictions. He said another agreement with Iran should be signed.
Sergei Lavrov, speaking after meeting German foreign minister Heiko Maas on May 10 in Moscow, said it was important that any new U.S. sanctions did not ruin the 2015 accord between Tehran and six world powers, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
“Without doubt we will make sure firstly that this does not destroy the JCPOA. This is our common objective,” Lavrov said at a joint news conference with Maas. The JCPOA provides Tehran with relief from sanctions in return for curbs on its nuclear program.
Lavrov added that Russia, Germany, China, Britain, and France — the remaining participants in the agreement — must work to “enable the preservation of this important document for regional stability.”
Meanwhile, UK Prime Minister Theresa May, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel issued a joint statement calling on all other parties to the JCPOA to stay committed to their liabilities under it.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani reiterated his country’s commitment to the deal, saying Teheran will continue to implement its liabilities.
The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), known as the deal on Iran’s nuclear program, was signed between Iran and six international mediators (the United Kingdom, Germany, China, Russia, the United States, and France) on July 14, 2015. On January 16, 2016, the parties to the deal announced beginning of its implementation.
Under the deal, Iran undertakes to curb its nuclear activities and place them under total control of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in exchange for removal of the sanctions imposed previously by the United Nations Security Council, the European Union and the United States over its nuclear program.
On Friday, Tehran condemned the Israeli strikes on the territory of Syria, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi was quoted.
“The Zionist regime’s repeated attacks on Syrian soil under self-proclaimed, baseless pretexts amount to a blatant violation of Syria’s sovereignty and goes against all international conventions,” the official said.
Earlier this week, the pro-Iranian Al-Quds forces deployed in Syria launched no less than 20 missiles and other projectiles at the advanced positions of Israeli Army units on the Golan Heights. Israel intercepted some of the Iranian missiles with the aid of the Iron Dome air defense systems while others fell short of striking the targets. Shortly after that, Israel delivered airstrikes at the Syrian army positions in Khan Arnaba, Tell al-Ahmar, Tell al-Qbaa and Qasr al-Naql in the Quneitra province some 40 kilometers of Damascus. SANA news agency said later Syria’s air defense forces had downed dozens Israeli missiles fired from the territory of the occupied Golan Heights.