The former Pilipino dictator, Ferdinand Marcos, was buried on Friday in the country’s Heroes’ Cemetery.
Marcos supporters, along with his family, have long held the view that as a former soldier and President, Marcos was entitled to the honour. Marcos had people murdered, over 34,000 tortured, and 70,000 people jailed over his 21-year rule. It is said he stole millions from the country’s coffers.
There is no media coverage of the burial, which the family requested to be “private.”
Thousands petitioned the denial of Marcos burial in the armed forces cemetery, intended for heroes, but the Supreme Court ordered on November 8 his burial. The Supreme Court’s decision came with an overwhelming 9-5 majority.
The main advocate for the burial honoring the former dictator was President Duterte.
Duterte has praised Marcos, and he has also demonstrated his own contempt for human rights abuses by proceeding with over 3,000 extrajudicial killings since he came to power.
Until Friday, the remains of the general had been kept for years in a refrigerated crypt of the family’s Mausoleum, while his family was in exile in Hawaii.
From Peru, where he is attending the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit, a spokesman for Duterte said that Filipinos should find it in their heart to forgive Marcos.