EU’s newest institutional diamond in Etterbeek , Brussels, has been evacuated due to noxious fumes in the kitchens on Friday.
EU Council’s “Europa” building was evacuated after 13 people were taken ill due to noxious fumes in the kitchens, according to EU officials, after ambulances were seen outside the €321 million new home of the European Council, dubbed the “Egg” or “Space Egg”. The fire brigade evacuated the building moving people to the interconnected Justus Lipsius building, the older home of EU summits, “applying the principle of safety first” according to the European Council statement.
According to an EU Council official, five people were hospitalized as their symptoms caused “sore eyes and vomiting” according to Pierre Meys, spokesman for Brussels emergency services. “There was a bad mix of chemical products on the kitchen level. That caused fumes,” he added.
As for next week’s summit, the EU Council said in a statement that the summit on Brexit and the future of Europe will take place according to schedule. “A technical issue affecting the ventilation in the kitchens of the Europa building, producing noxious fumes in the kitchens, has led to a number of kitchen staff falling ill,” said the statement. “The Belgian firemen and medical services were brought in today to investigate the situation and evacuate kitchen staff who felt ill.”
In the heart of the European district, the Europa building combines a new part designed by the consortium of Samyn and Partners (Belgium), Studio Valle Progettazioni (Italy) and Buro Happold (UK), and a renovated section listed Art Deco complex designed by architect Michel Polak in 1922. The building hosted its first European head of state and governments Summit in January 2017.