On 28 April, the Central Election Commission (CEC) of Kazakhstan completed acceptance of applications from those wishing to compete for the presidency of Kazakhstan. The number of registered candidates for the presidency was nine.
However, on 29 April, a candidate in the presidential election from the Union of Builders of Kazakhstan Talgat Yergaliyev withdrew his candidacy, a press – service of the Ak Zhol party reported on 29 April.
The press service Ak Zhol explained that Yergaliyev refused to participate in the elections for support of the single candidate of the Ak Zhol party, Daniya Yespayeva, after meeting with the party’s chairman Azat Peruashev.
Earlier, the Ak Zhol party took a vote and nominated Yespayeva from six candidates. Yergaliyev on the results of the vote scored 31.6% of the vote and took second place. Then Yergaliyev decided to nominate for participation in the election of the head of state from the Union of Builders of Kazakhstan.
“Azat Peruashev explained that he respects the right of Talgat Yergaliyev, as well as every citizen, to nominate his candidacy. Moreover, the motivations of such a move are understandable, given his high result on the party voting. But he reminded about the decision of the Congress to all six the participants of the primaries to join the team of the single candidate of the party, which was elected, Daniya Yespayeva” a statement read.
Thus, eight candidates will fight for the presidency of Kazakhstan in the upcoming elections: four from the parties and four from public associations.
Among those running:
- From the Nur Otan party, the current president of Kazakhstan, Kasym-Zhomart Tokayev.
- Applicant for the post of head of state from the republican public association Uly Dala Kirandary (Eagles of the Great Steppe) writer Sadybek Tugel;
- From the federation of trade unions of Kazakhstan ex-deputy, chairman of the territorial association of trade unions of the West Kazakhstan region Amangeldy Taspikhov;
- From the party Ak Zhol – Yespayeva parliamentary deputy of the Majilis;
- From the party Auyl the chairman of the board of the NAO National Agrarian Research and Education Center – Toleutai Rakhimbekov;
- From the Communist People’s Party of Kazakhstan, Mazhilisman Zhambyl Akhmetbekov;
- From the public association Halyk Demography (Popular Demography) public figure Zhumatay Aliyev;
- From the public association National Patriotic Movement Ult Tagdyry (Fate of the Nation) political and public figure, journalist Amirzhan Kosanov.
The Ak Zhol party nominated on 24 April 24 Yespayeva as its candidate for the June 9 presidential election. If confirmed by the Kazakhstan Central Election Commission, Yespayeva would be the first woman in Kazakh history to run for president. Yespayeva, a banker from the Aktobe Region, received 49.5 percent of the party’s 190 voters in a secret ballot.
Six members of the party nominated themselves, including Yespayeva, Kazakh Union of Builders’ Head Talgat Yergaliyev (Nur-Sultan), lecturer at the East Kazakhstan State University Kuat Rakhimberdin (Oskemen), entrepreneur Asan Koshmambetov (Taraz), entrepreneur Serik Yerubayev (Atyrau) and lawyer Yevgeny Kinzel (Petropavlovsk).